Sunday, November 12, 2006

I don't have an opinion on that!

How do you answer these questions...?

  • Do you think there are/ Do you believe in ghosts?
  • Do you think there are/ Do you believe in mermaids?
  • Same question for...gnomes, elfs, giants, midgets, black magic etc...
  • Do you think there's life out there in space?
  • What happens when we die?
I dont have an answer to these questions since I've never encountered any of them personally.
Just because I've never had the good fortune (?) to meet a ghost, to have a swim with a mermaid or to chat with an elf, I can't just disbelieve them. And for the same reason, neither can I believe them.
Though I'll be happy to exchange ideas with an alien if one comes my way, I have no reason to break my head over "UFO SIGHTINGS!!!!" that never happen to me!
And I'm quite content to wait till I die to see what happens next!

This kinda "neither yes nor no" state is not just for these questions. I have the same opinion (of not having an opinion) for

  • whether man really landed in moon or was it just a big story NASA cooked up
  • is global warming really happening
  • is Pluto a planet or not

well...you get the idea.

Frankly I dont give a damn! (Did someone say that already?) Maybe I'm being ultra selfish here, and not bothered about stuff that's happening outside my circle.

But hey, what difference does it make to me right now whether man landed in moon or not? I'm gonna be doing what i'm doing now (staring at the same 14 inch monitor day after day) whether he did or not, right?
Alright, maybe I play a miniscule but a spectacular super-important role in this big cosmic relation, but how does it actually affect me whether I believe Pluto is a planet or not?
And if Global warming is really happening, I'm either gonna be burnt crisp or frozen stiff. Then it won't matter what I actually think about it, will it? ;-)

4 comments:

the inward odyssey said...

obvious questions that everyone had at some point of time. But inspite of popular acceptance on certain issues people still have their own theories. good one. .everything except the warming stuff i feel.its pretty conspicuous its happening or may be thats jus my theory.

After a 3 hour long discovery channel stunt I somehow was totally convinced that landing on the moon was blaaah!!!..for one, any great feat was always re-tried in a better way or by someone else to prove competence..neither happened..more goof-ups like shadows in diff directions..uneven texture of moon and lots more got me to believe so.

and please dont even get me started on the pluto thing. Jus because they run out of heavenly bodies they raise stupid questions about existing one's. Buts its always fun to wonder about stuff like this.good post!!

Hameeduddin said...

To think, ponder and wonder are abilities so wondrous that they alone make our miniscule, tiny, unimportant existance entirely worthwhile.

Life elsewhere? Aliens? Can you imagine them? picture them? ..well then they do exist, dont they? In your imagination! away from every destructive force.. 'to imagine' is a gift more poweful than creation, more beautiful than reality and more fulfilling than mundane day today stuff.

And you r right,

To ignore more philosophically potent questions like 'our purpose here' and getting started over nitty-gritty stuff like 'pluto beinga planet' is tantamount to utter sacrilage.

Nivi said...

hey good blog :)

call it whatever u want.. be it a conspiracy (the moon landing story) or be it a fantasy(existence of mermaids, ghosts)... its always interesting to think bout these kinda stuffs...

Lance Abel said...

Heh, nice post.
I'm also 'agnostic' on things which I just cannot have an opinion on. This is the only reasonable position....to admit ignorance on what one is ignorant of. When people who I know don't know anything volunteer their opinions on some matter, it proves how cheap talk is.