Friday, June 23, 2006

Beep! Beep!

Yes, that is the beep of cellphone and NO, don't check your mobile when I'm talking to you.
I belong to the cellphone-savvy generation and each and every person around me has this extra growth from their hands. SMS-ing is the order of the day. Yea it helps us be in constant contact with our buddies, and yea it helps us planning a trip or a gift or anything easier. All that's fine, but there's an aspect to this messaging that I feel most people overlook.
I call it the "people-sense".
Consider this, you are taking a walk with your friend, and you are telling her/him something that has made a deep impact on you. You turn around to know their reaction. What do you find? There they are, messaging away to eternity. I tell you how I'll feel, I'll feel like taking that phone, drop it on the floor, jump on it and scatter the pieces.
These are the kind of people that are lacking in the people-sense. Well, perhaps the person they are messaging to maybe the most important person on earth to them, also that if they did not send that message at that very instant, the sun will rise from the west. But hey, aren't you overlooking something here? By giving much importance to a friend who's miles away from you, you're ignoring(intentionally or unintentionally) the friend who's right next to you.
Yes, you are developing a relationship miles away, but hullo! Open your eyes, a relationship right next to you is deteriorating!
Together with your mobile you are giving 'busy' signals to the friend right next to you.
Cellphones are the best in helping you maintain long distance relationships! But do make sure that it is not at the cost of a closer-to-home-relationship.

5 comments:

Bala said...

true fact !
somethin to be handled wit tact !
though SMS may attract !
high time we realize..
:->

Nivi said...

oh my god!!!!!! U r furious with that friend of urs... Hope i was not msgin whn u wer talkin to me...
Whatever u have written is absolutely true though

Girl of Destiny said...

thnx guys! Good tht ur agreeing wit me :)

insane dame said...

one thing tht is reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllly affectin relationships across... SMS'in

i can emphathise wt u da... for iv been der and done dat tooo.. unintentionally of course..

wen wl the realisation hit us??? reallyyy dunno...

its like come one yaar. she's my frnd she'l understand if i need to reply to somebody's sms.... bt if i put myself in her shoes(if i myself am not pre occupied wit replyin to my messgs)i wld definitely feel out of place.. esp if i had been in d middle of major conv...

most of da time conv's goe like.. "hey u know wat (beep beep - reply to sms)..wer was i.. ah i was tellin u.. (beep beep)" n so on...

v dont seem to realise wats happenin until v stand aside n luk at it from a different angle..

hope these things change.
well gotto start implementin it ourselves for starters... ;)

Girl of Destiny said...

Ur right dame! Steps to correct the nation should start from home!