Thursday, September 20, 2007

Mood Music

A drive in ECR is always pleasant. If you have music to accompany your drive, it's the tops!
On one such drive, I was fiddling with the radio to find a good station. My taste in music usually changes as frequently as the weather. That day, I tended towards melodies. I hit on a station that was playing a hitherto favorite song of mine, Evano Oruvan from the flick Alaipayuthe. A soulful high pitch rendering by Swarnalatha.
I was shocked to hear my friend say, "Hey change the damn song. Why is that female screeching so awfully? Find a station that plays a better song".
He changed the station to a one playing a lilting number. He looked at me and said, "Why are you listening to such sad songs now? Let's hear happy songs Mat".
Though I didn't realise at that time, the change in the tune made a definite impact on my mood.

Another time, when I was listening to another melodious number, Mudhal Mazhai from Bheema, my friend came up to me and suggested that I hear another song from the movie which was of a buoyant nature. The Rangu Rangamma she suggested played a significant role in keeping my mind in a happy frame.

Generally when we're sad, subdued or in silent contemplation of life, we tend to listen to music that reflects our mood. But, I find that people such as my aforementioned friends, who tend towards cheery songs are invariably almost always in a cheery mood. They liven up the place.

Do songs define our mood? Or do we select the songs we wish to hear based on our mood? I found that whatever my mood be, listening to a bouncy number always perks me up! Life is happier :-)

6 comments:

Juvenile - J said...

i guess its the mood which selects the songs..

ECR drive.. glittering lights.. music to accompany.. friend by ur side.. why would u feel gloom.??

after all y are friends for... to liven things up... :)

but have to say ur memory sure is improving, u remember the song which was playing.. ;)

bravo mat.. bravo...

Girl of Destiny said...

For the 7492nd time, my memory is the same as it ever was!!!

If it's the mood that selects the song, why would I have selected a song that's so sad when I'm happy??
I rather think it's the other way around.

Juvenile - J said...

may be coz..
u were happy for that moment.. but not the same deep down..
still some part of u felt gloomy..

or may be coz..
it is ur favorite song

தேன்மொழி said...

Nice thought mat ,

one thing i can say is songs help in changing your sad mood to happy mood at the same time it can make them worse it depends on the type of song you are hearing

hearing Cheerfull songs have helped me to come out of gloomy situations and hearing a very melodiuios sad song have worsened my mood too,

Anonymous said...

rendumae corect,
mooduku yetra songa naamma select panradhum,
songuku yetra madhri namma mood maaradhum..

Girl of Destiny said...

@Sona, Anon
Agree with you!