Friday, July 07, 2006

Re-mixed...and messed up!

I was making noodles for dinner and had the radio on for company. I was quietly enjoying the cooking and the listening....all of a sudden my ladle stopped, my eyes widened and I went rigid with shock.

I had just heard the re-mixed version of an old song.

Only yesterday I realized the true meaning of "Old is Gold". The song that was being tortured was a motivating and inspiring number from a top actor of yesteryears. He had played the role of a slave in the movie and in this particular song he talks about how to make best use of our situations however down we maybe, emotionally and socially. This song had been written in such a way that it fits in the general scheme of life too. The song is eloquent, emotional, rousing and in short captivating. The singer had a deep voice and his delivery was impressive.

And yesterday I heard this song completely mutilated. I'm sure the silly little music director had lofty ambitions of "making a mark". Also I'm sure the singer, the poor guy, thought he was making a statement with the "modern" way he was singing.

The result was absolutely detestable.

The deep rich baritones of the original singer had been replaced by a guy who sang from the tip of his tongue. And it was the wrong tip too. There were unneccassary "ooooooooohs" and "aaaaaahhhhhs" in the middle of the song by a bunch of screaming females.

Altogether the music director (God save him!) had accomplished whatever he had set out to do, make a mark!
You did it my friend, You created a deep impression in me.
At the end, I was left wondering, "WHY???"
Why did he have to take a quite, unassuming song that was harmlessly going its way and completely demoralise it?
All I hope is that when the Day of Judgement comes, all these will be taken into account!
:-)

2 comments:

Bala said...

hmmm..u r right ! i had a similar xperience too. Last week i put an old songs cd to listen to a popular song but to my dismay it was a rerecorded cd wit modern musical equipments and sung by the same singer who has grown old now and lost the charm in her voice.. If this can frustate me so much why wont a junk remix upset u !!

Girl of Destiny said...

good to know there are other people in the same boat!
:)