Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Of course it's a Small World!

About 6 years back:
I meet this guy in my college. A senior. We become friends. He makes a stipulation that I call him not by name but 'Anna'. I wasn't used to calling any non-relative 'anna'. Still I acquiesce. No reason why.
We become pretty good friends soon.

A few years later:
We figure out that we both share the same hometown and same family name. He tells me, 'There's a high probability that we might be related'. 'Maybe', I tell him. End of topic.

A few months back:
I meet him and another friend at their house. His friend shows me pictures of a new beautiful temple. He holds a significant postion in the Temple Trust. He offers to help any relatives of mine who might plan to visit the temple. I tuck away this little piece of information.

A few months later:
A big bunch of my relatives plan to visit this temple. I offer them my friend's number. He helps them with arrangements.

At the temple:
An aged relative comes upto my mother, "A person offered to help me too. I did not ask him since you are making this arrangement".
"Oh who is your contact?", asks my mom.
"My nephew's son's friend. He's working in b'lore. But he is part of the Temple Trust".
Mom pricks her ears, "What is his name?"
"..... ", she replies with his name.
"Oh even I arranged through him. He is my daughter's friend. Oh wait, is your nephew's son by any chance .... ?" here she names my 'anna'.
"Oh yes", came the astonished reply.
The talk then went on to the much happy planes of figuring out mutual relatives.

In the evening:
"Listen, a funny thing happened at the temple today", mom tells me the entire story.
I was extremely excited. " So he really is my brother?"
Mom explains the link.
"Oh I get it," I'm grinning, "He is your chithi's sister-in-law's grandson! And that makes him my chitappa's son. (oh yea I'm pretty good in these ;-) ) A real Anna!! This is cool!"

All excited, I call him up, wanting to share this extraordinary news. 'This number is switched off'. Great.
I mail him, 'Got some really interesting revelation to tell you. Call me when free'. My mail was peppered with exclamation marks.

He coolly mails the reply , 'That you are related to me? I already told you there's a high probability'.
That's the extent of excitement.
Hmph...My brother.

11 comments:

tamizh said...

really interesting!! i too think the same de, u wud be my sister.. (who knows? there would be a link)

Nivi said...

hello... tamil, unnake idhu over a theriyala... :-P

mat, first it was raj, now kiku va??? :)

Girl of Destiny said...

oh yea.. it very very interesting when such a thing happens..
and also when you see the events leading up to it.. it's awesome!

and tamil may well be true... rememember we talked about this in lunch one day!

Sugeeth said...

I beg to differ. You'v got ur calculations messed up. As far as i knew, a chithi's sis can be your periyamma/chithi. But a chithi's sis in law would naturally turn out to be your athai.. Rite??????

So, isnt he ur athai payan?????

Me.. dropping bomb shells....... okie... me escape... :)

Lets see, what miss. matics has to say for this?

Girl of Destiny said...

well, though i don't see the point in doing it, let me explain. :-)

his father calls my mom's chithi as 'maami'. so that makes him a 'brother' to my father. which in turn makes him my 'chitappa'.

clear?

tamizh said...

ya, i do.. u told some 7levels or something

Sugar & Spice said...

hey...it was fun reading..I imagined myself in ur place...:-)

தேன்மொழி said...

Thats great by the way who is that anna d ?..
the one we met ?

Girl of Destiny said...

@preethika
:-)

@sona
yup! the same!

Unknown said...

hmm..that was interesting!!

really small world

Girl of Destiny said...

thanks muthu! little things like these make life all the more interesting.
first visit? welcome!