Monday, February 04, 2008

Where do you see yourself 10 years from now?

A very famous interview question. Usual answers to this question are "I see myself running my own company / heading a division / etc etc". Correct answers? I'm not so sure.
Can you really see yourself down the lane? I, for one, have absolutely no concrete idea of what I will be doing ten - no! why go so far? - one year from now.
This question is a favorite topic of debate between me and a friend of mine. He's all for setting a clear goal and working, nay, slaving towards it. He goes up in an apoplexy to hear people (like yours truly) say "Whatever Life throws at me, I'm happy to live with it". His argument is that that is the motto of the weak. His idea is not to take life but to make it (not his words - my own!). It must feel very important to live like that, and feel very purposeful, striding towards the one goal!
Well, we happy-go-lucky creatures have a goal too. It's pretty simple actually. It is to be Happy! To feel at the end of the day that this day in my life was fun!
We can acclimatize ourselves to all that comes our way. We are definitely not losing our own sense of individuality in the process. No, we are just molding our minds to make the best of the situation. We are the chameleons of the humankind.
Would you call us pessimists, unwilling to be ambitious for fear we may never reach it? Or would you call us lazybones, refusing to look beyond today? Would you call us scaredy-cats, not having enough guts to go fight the world?
We are just people who want to live one day at a time. Would that make us realists? Maybe. We are optimists, who always have a hope that 'today was great and tomorrow will be better'. We are not lazy, we just want to deal with tomorrow when it comes and not today. We are not scared, we are just peace lovers.
We sail along in life, not too happy and not too sad. But calm and contented. Since our goal is so simple, nothing can beat us. Any drastic change in circumstances may pose a tiny setback of course, but we are soon back in the game, in all our glory. Setbacks interest us, they are but a game. We may be down but never out!

9 comments:

Maddie said...

well that's one of the questions that bugged me the most, specially during job interview times. I can't even say wat I'll be doing 6 months down the line. We live in a world where intersts and likes of people change from time to time and place to place, in this ever changing world, how can we create a plan and stick to it?

Girl of Destiny said...

well said maddie! 'ever changing world' describes it totally!!
Do join the club :-)

Maddie said...

hey..thanks for checking out my blog, here's the link to my other blog, http://casualreflections.wordpress.com
do visit and comment!

Maddie said...

hey..can u tell me how u linked ur posts to the dictionary? I want to do the same.

Girl of Destiny said...

hey maddie.. check out http://www.thefreedictionary.com/

they've got loads of free stuff!

tamizh said...

//But calm and contented. Since our goal is so simple, nothing can beat us.//
true.. i too feel the same..

//(not his words - my own!). //
sari puriyudhu

//We may be down but never out!//
:) i like it

he thinks so because he is designed with such thought elements..(hahaa, mokka podrenu enake theriyudhu)

Girl of Destiny said...

down but not out - one of my most favorite phrases!

mokkaya...therinja seri!!

King Vishy said...

Very sensible post :) Far removed from the maddening pace of today's world..

In fact, this is one reason why Saints lead a happy life.. They have no ambitions.. If at all there is any "planning" in their life, that occurs when they feel hungry, and they start looking for the next meal.. Outside of this, they lead a very happpppppy life.. Absolutely no tension / stress..

So, cannot really argue with u on ur points :) It all boils down to individual preferences.. I for one, keep thinking on where I shd be going.. I believe in planning forehand and attacking it..

To use Lakshmi Mittal's words:
"I do not believe in striking the iron when it's hot. I believe in striking it so hard that it becomes hot"

:) But that's how the world is.. to each, his own!

Girl of Destiny said...

Oh.. thanks for introducing me to mittal's ! profound!
appreciate your comments oh king!