Monday, April 21, 2008

Past is present

It is the talk of the virtual town. Charles Darwin's notes and books and the all the stuff have been made available online this month! Being a non-scientist, this information of course did not send me into apoplexies of ecstasy. But I was just curious.

Seeing all those handwritten notes right there left a strange feeling inside. Imagine, those very papers had been held by a man about 200 years ago and they had recorded all his thoughts and ideas.

The period of 200 years is not completely conceivable by the mind. At first, you think you know it but you really don't. At the most, we can easily think back to maybe 15-20 years and relate to it. 200 years loses its magnificence and its true distance from us when it cannot even be perceived in the first place! But by a hard effort, we can try to imagine going back 200 years and when we do, the effect is staggering!

He had existed in this completely different world from ours. In addition to their content, those papers must have volumes to tell us about their time. To whom Darwin showed them, how the people looked, what they were wearing, what they were eating, where the papers were stored, what the furniture was like... I can go on.

I got the same strange feeling when I came across some letters written by my grandfather and my great grandfather. They had lived so, so far back in time, but looking at and touching those documents actually have the power to transport you back. Suddenly you get the feeling that the past is right here, in front of you, on nothing more than a piece of paper. And the journey leaves you with an inexplicable feeling of transience!

9 comments:

JK said...

You have Good Vocabulary....Its very hard for me to understand thorougly at the first time. I used dictionary to make me straight..Its good in one way to learn new words..

But still the dictionary what I searched didn't give me the meaning for the word //ecstacy//..

King Vishy said...

Loved the post.. esp cos as I read thru, I wanted to scream "me too, me too!"..

The last time I went thru this feelin u have described was when I visited Golconda fort last year.. As I walked through the pathways, my thoughts went back hundreds of years to the period when great Kinds trod along regularly in their magnificence..

Like that I keep marveling at relics of the past in the same way, and felt very happy to read thru the entire essay.......

until I saw the tag :(

Spica said...

You have the letters with you now?

Oh, and i left something for you with appa. Pick it up..

தேன்மொழி said...

strange mathi ..
enakku innum athu nadakakala ..
feeling strange to think of that

Girl of Destiny said...

@jk
thank you for pointing out the error! It should've been spelt 'ecstaSy'.

@ki-vi
Oh you must be a kindred soul! I had an inkling when I read your blog and it was proved when you said you wanted a library of PGW, Asterix and Calvin!!!

The tag means not that I'm weird myself, it only means that when I discuss these things with the people around, I get weird looks which say "Are you totally off your rocker???"
Like Phoebe Buffay, I consider these things as being 'wonderfully weird' :-)

@chit
the letters must be somewhere around.

@sona
well... do let me know if it does!

Anonymous said...

memories do play an important role..

King Vishy said...

he he.. I get it now.. And I can totally empathize!:) Many times I don't even talk abt these kinda stuff to anyone, simply to avoid weird stares :)

Maddie said...

tagged u..check out my blog

Girl of Destiny said...

@chriz
totally agree. i'd also add 'very' to your statement!

@vishy
why blood? same blood.