Wednesday, October 03, 2007

The Girl and The Machine

Rewind to a coupla years back.
"I'm planning to buy a two-wheeler", I told the Pater.
The mercury hit the top. "My daughter on a scooter? On these terrible roads? I absolutely forbid it! I won't have you breaking any bones!" (He meant others' bones of course!)
Right-o! Another dream down the drain. But, the spark wasn't completely extinguished.

Fast forward to the present.
My unc came up to me, "I can't use my bike because of my operation. Do you wanna take it to office or something?"
Do I??!!
Though he was apprehensive about the Pater's reaction, I convinced him with my mother's golden words - 'What they don't know can't hurt them'.

I was all set to go. With his helmet (which I believe he got as a wedding gift - 40 years ago) on my head, like a good girl I went straight to office. I was already late and had to hurry. So I took the short straight path. After an usual day, I was eager to start home, with a stop on the way for some shopping.

With my jacket on, without the hindrance of that helmet (I know, I know, breaking rules and all that - but the wind rushing through you - what an exhilarating feeling! (Plus my sense of fashion (ahem!) prevented me from wearing that scrap metal (I've got to stop here before I put up any more parentheses))), I started my journey.

It was my dream to take a bike and explore hitherto unknown streets in my town. I was so excited that I was gonna live my dream! I started with taking any and all side streets that took my fancy. I avoided known main roads. I explored my area to my heart's content. I must admit, I did hit upon numerous dead ends and no-entries. I went in circles. The journey which should normally take me about an hour took me nearly one and a half. But did I care? Oh no!
What did those matter when compared to the Liberation that I felt?

7 comments:

Unknown said...

You would have enjoyed the ride more cos ur dad forbade you from riding for so long!

Girl of Destiny said...

thas one more reason!

Bala said...

Bike is addiction. Im an addict. If u kno the nuances of Bike Riding, U ll enjoy the ride and also being an addict.
Give me more..U r gonna say this often ;)

Juvenile - J said...

good to see u finally break a rule mat.. ;)
join the club..

Anonymous said...

how old are you while riding mat?? or how old is ur uncle then?? nethu pirandha romba china unclenu vechuklama? and you will be too old when you ride!! Are you really able to accelerate well?? arent you shivering?? unaku vaaila pallelam iruka apo?? i think i should read the blog again...

Girl of Destiny said...

@bala
Hope I'll 'get more'!

@Vinod
thnx for the welcome! but r u sure u shud be extending me one?? do u actually belong to that club??? ;-)

@Anon,
Yes, Do read the blog again and comment again. Coz I can't make any sense out of this one. FYI, unc was married about 40 yrs bak! Do the math!:-)

Juvenile - J said...

im not sure of which club ur talking about..
but i certainly do belong to the bikers club..